So recently, I just had one of the best birthdays of my life, my 22nd! Of course I had to go full-out and wanted to throw a fantastic party that my friends would enjoy. I’m a student, and I was trying to keep my birthday on a budget since money is a hassle right now. I was brainstorming different party ideas and decorations that I could put together to make this birthday one to remember. Here are a couple of party decoration ideas that you can put together yourself that’s completely inexpensive and fun to make! Enjoy!
The first decoration that is a must are these beautiful number balloons. For my 22nd birthday, I wanted to go with a gold and pink theme and my friend picked these up for me at Party City. You can purchase these in different colours such as gold, black and silver for around $25.00 for two numbers. These are a cute backdrop for pictures to be taken near and are fun decorations to have at your party! These deff are a must-have!
These DIY is so cute and inexpensive to do. You can purchase everything you need at your local dollar store and it’s literally under 5 dollars! The materials you need to gather are glasses that you wish to paint; preferably plastic, gold paint or any colour paint you wish to paint your glasses, jewels or any other decorations you want to put on your glass,paint brushes, ribbon, and a hot glue gun.
- Pour your paint into a plastic plate that is easily accessible to get to and cover your glasses with one layer of the paint of your choice. Let this sit for a good 10 minutes before you add your next coat of paint.
- Apply a second coat of paint to your glasses so that they don’t appear “streaky” anymore. Leave this to dry for 10-15 minutes before decorating your glass.
- If you need to apply one last coat of paint to your glass you can go right ahead, if not you are ready to decorate. For my glasses, I chose to do different designs with the jewels on each glass as you can see within the picture. Even though the jewels were stickers, I still applied a small dab of glue with my glue gun to make sure they stuck in place. Feel free to create any design as you wish! As you can see I love jewels and placed them all over each glass.
- After you are done with the jewels you can place ribbon around them as you wish, just like I did with the one glass. I ran out of ribbon, or I would’ve made more bows on my glasses. I just find that bows make everything look classier , even cheap plastic glasses.
- Voila! You now have cute decorative glasses to place on a table or near your food table to show off to your guests! The best thing about these glasses is that I can use them later on as decorations in my student room.
Another decoration that I placed throughout my house were these cute sparkly bows that I found at the dollar store. They were located within the Christmas aisle but can be used for cute party decorations that you can put around lamps or hang off of chairs. You can get two small bows in a pack and there were also big bows that you can buy on their own as well. These looked extremely classy and cute around my living room, and I now use these as decorations in my student room.
This cute DIY is so fun and looks extremely classy when finished! I love decorating and when I come across really cheap things to do on Pinterest, I go for it. I think candles are a must when it comes to birthday parties, and I purchased these three small candles at the dollar store as well, along with the supplies needed to decorate them and the tray. The materials that you need include: a candle or candles of your choice, ribbon, jewels, glitter tape,and a glue gun.
- First,grab your glitter tape and wrap it once around your candle to outline where you are going to tie your ribbon. Not only does that tape show through your ribbon, but it looks really cute as well.
- You then need to tie your ribbon around your candle(s), and create a fancy bow. Take your time doing this step, as you want your bow to look nice and fancy. Glue your bow in place with a dab of glue so that it does not slide down your candle.
- Once your bow is glued on your candle(s), you can place a jewel in the center of the bow. Personally I love the look of this , but you can decorate it how you choose to with the jewels.
- Voila! Now you have cute candles to show off or place on your food table. I loved the different shades of candles that I had purchased and they looked really classy and fancy once they were lit.
The next DIY is making a candle holder for your candles to be placed on. I bought a random plate at the dollar store that was originally white, and put gold paint top. The materials that you need are all located at your local dollar store and they include: paint brush, platter or plate, and gold paint or the colour paint of your choice. Simply apply a few coats to your platter, and within each coat wait a little while for it to dry. Waiting for the plate to dry takes more time than the glasses because of the specific material so be patient! Once you are finished, you will have a nice cute, classy tray to place your candles on! Completely inexpensive to make, under five dollars, but looks expensive!
Are you trying to figure out what decorations to hang on your walls? I came up with this fun and creative idea to use doilies as decorations! You can purchase all these materials at your local dollar store, so what are you waiting for ?! The materials that you are going to need are: paint brushes, doilies, three different kinds of paint, and a glue gun. Since I was turning 22 years old, I of course had to use the saying “feelin 22”, but you can use any saying or favourite phrase that you like!
- First, you need to paint all of your dollies one specific colour, in my case I stuck with gold. Use as many doilies as you wish, but leave them to dry once you are finished painting them.
- Now that they are all dry, lay them out in a certain pattern that you please to, in my case I placed them out horizontally. Glue each side of the doilies together to prepare for the saying that you are going to paint across them.
- Now that your doilies are all stuck together, grab your two other paint colours and begin to write your saying or phrase that you would like. Pinterest has a number of cute sayings that you can use if you can’t think of a saying off the top of your head. Like I had said earlier, I decided to go with the saying “feelin 22”, and colour coordinated the different letters and numbers. With the left over doilies that I didn’t need for my saying, I chose to write the number “22” all over them to hang around the wall.
- Voila! You have a cute inexpensive wall banner that looks super cute and you can personalize it as opposed to the traditional “happy birthday banner”.
Now you are ready to move on to the food table and preparing for that. I chose to stick to easy and accessible foods that were fun to eat, and easy to make. Some of the foods that I made included: cupcakes, vodka gummie bears, a punch and I laid out some chips as well. Decorating the cupcakes is always a fun thing to do, especially if you make them a little bit silly as well (if you know what I mean). My friend picked up a few decorations from Bulk Barn to decorate the cupcakes with such as silver balls, icing flowers, crowns, stars and different coloured sprinkles.Having a variety of different decorative cupcakes draws more attention and is a great hit at parties! As you can also see I bought a bunch of white rose pedals from my local dollar store to place around the table for decoration. This made the display look really classy and elegant!
Lastly, my roommate made a fun and silly “Party Rules” sign that we taped on our wall for guests to read when they came over. You can look on Pinterest for silly and entertaining rules for people to follow, or even make up your own! This is such a fun DIY to make and you can get all your supplies at your local dollar store such as markers and a bristol board.
I also decided to make a punch for guests to grab whenever they were thirsty. This is really simple, easy to make and tastes great! All the materials that you are going to need you can purchase at your local grocery store. The ingredients that you will need is : a bottle of lemonade, a bottle of cranberry juice,sugar, a bottle of lemon-lime soda, a jug of orange juice, an orange, a lemon, and a lime if you chose to. Simply pour all the ingredients into a punch bowl and slice up the fruit on top. Voila! Yummy punch! ( if you even want to spike it you can!)
1 cup of lemonade
1 cup of orange juice
2 cups of cranberry juice
3 cups of water
1/4 cup of sugar
1 liter of lemon-lime soda
Fruits all cut up and placed ontop
I hope that these decoration tips and ideas helped you beauts! This was one of the best parties I have thrown at my house, and I hope these come in handy for you to do! If you have any questions please feel free to message me!
Much love xo.